December 23, 2007

12/22/07

According to marathon lore, if you can run 18 - 20 miles during training you will be able to finish the marathon.


After almost a month of dwindling confidence, I’m overjoyed to report that I ran 18 miles yesterday!! It was getting pretty hard to believe that I was actually going to get through this training with my body rebelling against my two previous attempts towards 18 miles. And man, could I stop the embarassing waterworks! It was like I had Beaches playing in my head all day. Alright with the crying already! I really thought I had pushed my body to its final limit. The more my confidence dwindled, the more I didn’t want to train on the “non-running” days. I mean what for? Then last Thursday, I forced myself to go to the gym after feeling guilty for skipping practice the night before. I don’t know what it was – maybe it was all the days I took off that made my body fresh, but I had a great run! If you’re a runner, you’ll understand what I mean when I say my running opened up – it’s really just the adrenaline coursing through your veins – my stride lengthened and I felt like a gazelle kicking off. Finally! A running experience that didn’t suck! More importantly, a little inspiration for my upcoming long run.

I decided to forego team practice this Saturday and run along the west side path so my course was flat. The conditions were great. It wasn’t too cold, over ten degrees warmer than last week, and it was a nice cloudy sky. I ran farther on the path than I ever have almost reaching the GWB Bridge.

With the impending holidays, it was nice to have some time alone to my thoughts. (I did have 4 hours after all.) Along the way I had some interesting revelations. Disturbing ones – like how NYC is turning into Miami with its ever growing fleet of condominiums. Or some great ones – like there are still New Yorkers who still smile and say hello when you cross paths. And the mightiest of all revelations – if you beat them to the punch, saying hello to construction workers first will refrain any disgusting comments about your stretchy pants.

I wish you and everyone you love a very happy and healthy holiday.




Deliriously happy from my run. At least I'm not crying...









http://www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/Kristine

No comments: